Sleep Out to Support Homeless Families
The annual Nicholas House Off the Street, On Their Feet: Sleep Out to Support Homeless Families event is a movement of individuals who accept the challenge to sleep outside for one night in solidarity with homeless families. Participants raise funds and awareness for Nicholas House, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to help homeless families achieve self-sufficiency. This event is not about pretending to be homeless. It’s a demonstration to homeless families that we care – deciding that we can’t stay indoors while so many families remain outside.
On this night, power meets purpose! Families, friends and colleagues forge bonds while engaging in an immersive experience in solidarity for homeless families.
Click here for an album of images from 2019’s event!
Are you interested in sponsoring the 2020 Off the Street, On Their Feet: Sleep Out to Support Homeless Families? Contact Terrisita Terry, our Director of Development, at [email protected] to learn more.
What do I need to do to participate?
- A sincere desire to experience what it is like for homeless families to sleep outside and to participate in the spirit of the event.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Each participant commits to do their best to raise at least their fundraising goal to support homeless families by the date of the event. Fundraising goal levels include:
Student: $250 (current student ID required)
Couple: $1,000 (2 participants)
Organization/Company/Group: $2,500 (up to 4 participants)
What will happen at the event?
- Community guests and Sleep Out participants will enjoy outdoor activities and a meal with the families of Nicholas House, participate in awareness-raising activities, hear a client testimonial, and enjoy a tour of the shelter. Participants will Sleep Out overnight in solidarity with homeless families.
When and where will the event take place?
- The 2020 event will take place overnight at our family shelter in Grant Park on Friday, October 2, 2020.
How do I register to participate?
- A registration page will go live in 2020. Stay tuned for details!
How much am I expected to fundraise?
- We ask that all participants put forth their best effort to raise their full fundraising goal ($250 for students, $500 for single adults, $1,000 for couples and $2,500 for a group). All funds raised will support costs associated with providing housing, meals, transportation, workforce development and training, access to medical care, childcare, case management and more for homeless families. Donations are tax deductible. The Nicholas House team will be in touch after you sign up to help facilitate the fundraising process.
What should I bring with me?
- Please bring weather-appropriate clothing in layers, any toiletries or medications you may need, and your phone. We encourage you to bring your own sleeping bag; Nicholas House will have a limited supply of sleeping bags available to guests who haven’t reserved one on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please avoid bringing any luxury items with you, including tents, pillows, or anything valuable – we ask that participants experience what it is like sleeping outside for homeless families. Nicholas House is unable to secure valuables on your behalf. Please refrain from bringing any prohibited items.
How will my safety be ensured?
- Our shelter yard is fenced off in a residential neighborhood and security guards will be onsite overnight to ensure a safe experience for all participants. In case of severe weather, participants can move into an indoor location.
Can I bring someone with me?
- Friends, family and colleagues are welcome to attend the preliminary events, including wellness screenings, meal, and tour of the house but will be asked to leave at 9 pm. We expect all who stay the night to have registered to participate in advance and committed to their fundraising goal.
Where do I park?
- Event parking will be available on the side streets immediately surrounding the shelter and monitored by security personnel.
What do I do with cash or check donations?
- Contact us with information about your cash or check donation so that they can be added to your fundraising page total. You can mail the gifts to us at P.O. Box 15577, Atlanta, GA 30312 before the event with a note including “Off the Street, On Their Feet donation” and your name OR bring them to the event.
Do you have other questions about Off the Street, On Their Feet? Contact our Director of Development, Terrisita Terry, at [email protected].