Sleep Out to Support Homeless Families
When: October 13, 2017, 6:30 pm – 7:00 am
Where: Nicholas House Shelter, Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
Sleep out with Nicholas House on Friday, October 13, 2017 and help the homeless families we serve get Off the Street, On Their Feet! Help us raise awareness about family homelessness and raise funds to help more homeless parents and children get the services they need for a brighter future!
Are you interested in joining hands with Nicholas House and making a financial or in-kind contribution to support this event? Contact our Director of Development, Terrisita Terry, at 404-622-0793 x 105 or [email protected]
Would you be interested in helping with event set-up, registration, event take-down or leading activities with children the evening of October 13? Contact our Volunteer and Marketing Manager, Norma V. Nyhoff, at 404-622-0793 x106 or [email protected]
What do I need to do to participate?
- A sincere desire to experience what it is like for homeless families to sleep outside and to participate in the spirit of the event.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old.
- Each participant commits to do their best to raise a minimum of $2,500 to support homeless families by October 13, 2017.
What will happen at the event?
- Participants and guests will enjoy outdoor activities and a meal with the families of Nicholas House, participate in awareness-raising activities, hear a client testimonial, and enjoy a tour of the shelter. As the evening progresses, any non-participants will be asked to leave and the sleep out portion will begin—attendees will sleep outside in solidarity with homeless families. Breakfast and coffee will be provided in the morning.
When and where will the event take place?
- The event will take place at our family shelter in Grant Park starting at 6:30 pm on Friday, October 13, 2017 and concluding by 7:00 am the morning of Saturday, October 14, 2017. Once you sign up to participate, additional event details, including the shelter address and parking information, will be sent to you.
How do I register to participate?
- Click the “Register Now” button on our event page and fill out the form! It’s as easy as that! Once you register, we will be in touch to ensure you have all the support you need to raise your fundraising goal!
How much am I expected to fundraise?
- We ask that all participants put forth their best effort to raise a minimum of $2,500 on their fundraising page, which you can sign up for here. All funds raised will support costs associated with providing housing, meals, transportation, workforce development and training, access to medical care, childcare, case management and more for homeless families. Donations are tax deductible. The Nicholas House team will be in touch after you sign up to help facilitate the fundraising process.
What should I bring with me?
- Please bring weather-appropriate clothing in layers, any toiletries or medications you may need, and your phone. We encourage you to bring your own sleeping bag, though one can also be provided to you.
- Please avoid bringing any luxury items with you, including tents, pillows, or anything valuable – we ask that participants experience what it is like sleeping outside for homeless families.
How will my safety be ensured?
- Our shelter yard is fenced off in a residential neighborhood and two security guards will be onsite overnight to ensure a safe experience for all participants. In case of severe weather, participants can move into an indoor location.
Can I bring someone with me?
- Friends, family and colleagues are welcome to attend the preliminary events, including meal, testimonial and tour of the house but will be asked to leave when the sleeping portion of the evening begins between 9:00 and 10:00 pm. We expect all who stay the night to have registered to participate in advance and committed to their fundraising goal.
What do I do with cash or check donations?
- Contact us with information about your cash or check donation so that they can be added to your fundraising page total. You can mail the gifts to us at P.O. Box 15577, Atlanta, GA 30312 before the event with a note including “Off the Street, On Their Feet donation” and your name OR bring them to the event on October 13, 2017.
Do you have other questions about Off the Street, On Their Feet? Contact our Director of Development, Terrisita Terry, at [email protected].